3.2.14

I Used A Kettlebell (And I Didn't Die)

Happy Monday!  I hope everyone is having a lovely and productive day.  I went to a Superbowl party last night and got some serious knitting done while watching that train wreck.  Thank you Denver for making my Panthers no longer have the most pathetic appearance in recent memory.  Makes my life a little easier.

Lately I have been giving you a little peek into my personal health journey.  One of my coincides-with-New-Year's resolutions was to get my health back under control.  Because I am self-treating my migraines life has gotten a little more regimented.  Fortunately (or not) they seem to stem from an injury and not from a dietary or chemical imbalance, so I don't have to hyper-regulate my diet.  I can still eat gluten and sugar in moderation without suffering any ill effects.  Instead I am focusing on things like my sleeping patterns and exercise.  Until two years ago I was a full-time student.  I had weird days and functioned on strange sleep schedules.  One of the first changes I made when I started detoxing from my neuro-meds was how much I slept.  I was actually concerned I was pregnant because I was sleeping so much.  Turns out I just need 7-8 hours rather than the 4-5 I was used to from school.  A seemingly easy fix but one I struggled accepting.

The other modification I have made is a regular workout schedule.  It has become an obsession, which is why my knitting output has decreased.  I try to fit in something everyday when I get home from work and on my off-days I have been going for a run.  This is a big deal for me because I am not just doing cardio anymore, but have introduced weights into my routine.  I have a spinal injury that I rehabed as much as physical therapy could take me and now it is just time I man up and deal with it.  And it is working!  I've started out small, but as long as I keep at it the headaches are less frequent.

I've been blessed that I am not in this alone.  Some of the other girls from work are doing a weight loss challenge and while I am not trying to lose weight, the support we give one another has been very encouraging.  On days I have off I can frequently find a running buddy and we've done crazy things like take a kickboxing class for the first time together.  They understand that I have this weird head problem that can cause me problems and they have been very supportive as I figure out what works.

I have also found support through the Tone It Up community.  Bravo's new show Toned Up has been airing 30 minute episodes each week and is about two best friends who run a fitness company.  Somehow I found myself watching, probably while I was waiting for Chris to get home from work.  I was skeptical about it until I saw the first episode.  Their interactions and genuine enthusiasm were enough to get me to try a video (they have tons free on youtube), and that is all it took for me to get hooked.  Currently they are doing a program leading up to Valentine's Day called Love Your Body that is all about building confidence and trying new fitness.  I love it.  There are enough videos that I can try different things every day, and they are short enough that I can pace myself.  Last week I went out and bought a 10lb kettle bell.  This is a huge deal for me because I have not used anything other than 3lb hand weights.  And you know what?  I'm not dead yet.

So here's to a month of trial and error, slip ups and backslides, and finally feeling like I can conquer this thing.  Hopefully I will continue to have good news in the months to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment